leisure + hotels
The Board of Directors of a historic private golf and country club was dissatisfied with the results of their foodservice. Costs were high and the offerings had become stale and dated. Of utmost importance, however, was that member usage of foodservice had declined over recent years.
Batali was retained to evaluate all aspects of the operation including the restaurant, bar, grillroom, snack bar, and catering. Key stakeholders were interviewed including members, crewmembers, and the entire management team.
The report back to the Board identified a few key issues, all based around improving member satisfaction and member frequency-of-usage. A broad plan was developed to include items such as:
- A minor refreshment of the dining room and lounge
- Menu enhancements to update both the presentation of the menu itself, and revamping the food to feature more contemporary and locally focused items
- Expanded internal marketing to members including special items, food and beverage related activities, and special events
- Catering marketing tactics designed to fill available spaces during off-peak times
- Hospitality service training for all team members
Batali’s involvement not only improved the financial results, but also caused members to use the dining and bar facilities more frequently helping to keep membership rolls full and satisfied.
Batali was retained by a major resort/casino development to oversee the simultaneous opening of an upscale seafood restaurant, a destination nightclub, and room service to the 400-room luxury hotel. This extraordinary facility exceeded all expectations of customers and ownership and remains strong over 10 years later.
This role included menu development for food and beverage, development and delivery of all initial and ongoing training systems, and post-opening concept evolution and execution.